Everyone will have their own method of cooking a Turkey but ours is as follows:
- Remove Giblets
- Place Turkey breast down on a roasting tray, cover with streaky bacon if desired.
- Cover with tinfoil (shiny side inwards).
- Preheat your oven to the highest possible temperature.
- Once full heat is achieved place the turkey in the oven & immediately turn the temperature down to: Fan Oven 160*C. Non-Fan Oven 180*C. Gas Mark 4 for the duration of cooking.
- With 30-40 minutes of cooking time left turn turkey onto back and remove the tinfoil to allow the skin to brown & bacon to crisp up.
- Watch out for the timer popping – it may pop before or after estimated cooking time – remove the fully cooked bird from oven.
- Cover the cooked Turkey with tinfoil & a couple of clean tea towels to keep the heat in & allow the turkey to rest for 30-60 minutes before carving.
- Leftovers will keep for 3 days in the fridge or can be frozen to use later.
Stuffing your Turkey
There are many opinions on this, but we think that stuffing the neck with breadcrumb stuffing makes for the tastiest stuffing at Christmas, with the turkey juices adding extra flavour & moisture to the stuffing.
Stuff the turkey 30 minutes before cooking (stuffing any further in advance than this is not recommended as it blocks the airflow through the cavity of the uncooked bird).
If you choose to stuff your Turkey please add an additional 20 minutes to your calculated cooking time.